December 10, 2008

the Mask of Zorro

I read a post on a blog, don't know who the person was, can't even remember how I got to the link. Even though that person wouldn't be reading my opinion, I felt I wanted to give it anyway.

Some say heroes exist as a result of the need for comfort. They say people refer to one person as a hero to ease the fear, to have hope, that someone, somewhere out there had 'it'. Some of the same 'they' say we don't need heroes, we just have to look for the strength from within ourselves. That heroes are a waste of hope, time, and energy. That heroes were no greater than any person on the streets.

But in my opinion, we do need our every day hero. All our fictional heroes had the extra strength, had the extra determination, which in a way did make heroes great/greater. Most people lose confidence/hope so easily when threatened by a bigger power. It takes a hero to face that bigger power. He might not have the ability to fly, like Superman, he may not be impossible to rid off, like Batman, he might not even have half the speed of Flash. He might just be an ordinary guy on the streets. But he's a hero cos of the hope he gives the people, he's a hero cos he could make the people believe. 

Barrack Obama is a hero. Oprah is a hero ... uh ... heroine. 

Yesterday, 10th December. I was watching TV with my sister, somewhat 5 minutes before my Mandarin tuition teacher would arrive for tuition. I heard the doorbell ring so I ran to where the switch for the gate was.

Just as I clicked the switch, I heard a scream from outside the house. At first I thought a neighbour fell down in her garden or something. When I looked through the blinds, the see if Vicky was walking in, I saw the gate open and a motorcycle right in front of the gate. That was when I heard the person scream again, was then that I realized the person screaming was Vicky, my tuition teacher. I knew something bad happened, I felt scared, honestly the worst of what could be happening struck me in my mind.

I ran to the door, unlatched it and swung it open. Vicky was already running onto the porch, she ran in the house and was panting :"They took my bag ...". I saw the motorcycle make a little U-turn outside my house and drove (or is it cycled??) down the hill. The gate was still opened. Summary? My tuition teacher was just snatched of her bag in front of my house, in broad daylight. 

I didn't see, but Vicky said they held a knife next to her, that made her scream and threw down her backpack and tuition books. They cut her, just above the elbow. The cut wasn't very very deep, bleeding, but nothing severe. She called her boyfriend and also started making calls to credit card companies to terminate her card. 

But what was really gonna cause her a headache, was all the contacts, her class schedules, her phone, IC and all that stuff that was lost. Vicky is young, she's just started her career (and is doing very very well, I must add), something like this was just so unnecessary. But still, luckily all they did was take her bag. They could've severely injured her. 

Mommy asked Sean to stand outside the house (behind the closed gate) with the loud hailer:D lol. Just incase they came back for her car. Who'd know, you know? They were bold enough to snatch her bag in broad daylight, in front of a gate that was open. If we had a humongous dog, the dog would've attacked the motorcyclist and his pillion. OR! My brother could've been a buff dude about 180cm tall, probably scared the helmets off their heads.

The point is, they took the risk of getting caught, they were opportunists. As long as they got the bag, they'll go for it. I know, those two men might be going through a really rough time right now. I don't want to go blabbering away, so I'll make this as short as I can. 

Stealing is sort of easy money. Sure, you stand the risk of getting caught every time you snatch, but it's like winning a million bucks gambling only in a smaller scale. I'm not saying gambling is a crime or anything. People that win easy money, is most likely to spend it all just as easily. Same like stealing, you steal, you spend, you do it all over again.

But get this straight ... Steal = crime. Gamble = not crime. But they're SOMETIMES similar how in some cases the money flies away just as easily as it was caught.

I think this post is long enough.

0 comments: