May 3, 2009

I'm back home :) [Ballroom comp+ AI contest]

After a tiring weekend (that went by very quick, I must add). But I had so much fun, a little tense but definitely fun.


I left for Penang around noon on Friday. Slept for half the journey, as for the other half, I surprised myself by being able to accomplish the whole of chapter one of Add Maths. I have a little trouble with inverse functions, I'll need to find myself a tutor that can sit with me for max 15 minutes and explain a little :) (chyeah, it's add maths, i'll need a week)

So anyway. 

The day of the competition. 

When I got to the hall we'd be competing, my heart dropped only the slightest. The floor was tiled, meaning it's gonna be slippery and the worst of the worst would be to slip, AND be tripped on. There'll be 18 couples (COUPLES, that means 36 people) on the floor in the category I was to compete in. And there's two heats, meaning there are 36 couples and only 6 would compete in the finals later at night.

Sean and I waited for the rest from WDA to arrive. After they did we rehearsed a little on the floor. I got dressed, the atmosphere got a little more tense than before ... 

and we begin the event at 12.30nn.

I competed in Beginners Cha Cha, and Beginners Rhumba. After our first round, against the other 36 couples, the judges were to select 24 couples to head onto the quarter finals. I was watching and cheering on for our fellow dance mates with everyone else on the floor. And Belman tapped me on the shoulder, he says, "You've made it. Cha Cha and Rhumba." 

More cheering after the good news.

And it was again our turn to compete in the beginners quarter finals. This time therer was only one heat. All 24 couples on the floor. And from that 24, the judges will pick 12 couples to move on to semi finals. 

I felt good about the Cha Cha. The rhumba was a little messy. 

Again, while the other categories went on, I cheered with everyone else :)

A few categories went by, and I decided to go check the results board. 

My heart fell when I didn't see the number '34' on the list of the couples moving on to semi finals for Beginners Rhumba. 

But we made it for Cha Cha :) 

So. 12 couples on the floor, competing for one of the 6 available spots for the finals later that night. 



We didn't make it after that. Stopped at semifinals.

But I had a lot of fun :)

This morning, we left Penang at 7am, so I'd make it back in time for the hitz.fm + Starworld contest to win a pair of tickets to LA for the American Idol finals. All I can say is that it was a fun event :) It was like monopoly. You're supposed to collect golden tickets as you go around the board. You win tickets by answering questions correctly a/o performing wild card challenges. The challenges were funny, although I must admit, some of the questions were tough. 

I didn't win. 

So I guess instead of the theatre in LA watching Adam Lamber and Allison Iraheta live, I'll be in school doing my add maths exam. 

But I had fun, anyway. Millie was there !! :D 

Each contestant was given an Idol t-shirt we had to wear throughout the event. Each t-shirt had names of the contestants from American Idol season8. I got Adam Lambert :) Whooohooo. In the goodie bags we got, they gave us AI speakers, 2 albums (david cook and jennifer hudson) and movie tickets to x-men. 

Oh well. :) Fun weekend.  Back to school tomorrow.



[pictures of the comp will be up soon, i hope. nothing much though]

0 comments: